The villa is located along the old provincial road Lecco – Como, not far from Villa Majnoni, surrounded by a terraced garden that climbs towards the crest of the hill. The building presents itself as an interesting example of neo-Romanesque eclectic architecture, composed through the juxtaposition of forms referring to fortified architecture. It consists of two buildings.
The first, a sort of lower masonry bulwark leaning against the slope of the hill, was used as a lemon house and housed the service rooms.
On the lower body of the building, above which a terrace was obtained, rests the second structure of the architectural complex, the real villa developed on three levels, the ground floor and the two upper floors. Large doors and windows surmounted by low arches characterize the external elevations, giving the whole the appearance of a small manor.
The link with the Lombard construction tradition is underlined by the use of terracotta, declined in a considerable variety of bricks, tiles, decorations, friezes and ornaments in light and dark terracotta, elements present in a whole, if possible, even richer even in the Milanese family home (via Matteo Bandello).
The vast range of solutions is due to the famous furnace of which the owners of the villa were the owners. The construction has several similarities with other buildings designed by the same architect, Luigi Broggi, in particular with the Economical Kitchens of Via Monte Grappa in Milan, built in 1883.
The neo-Romanesque complex of Villa Candiani was built between 1880 and 1890 by Luigi Broggi (1851-1926), an architect who graduated from the Brera Academy where he was a pupil of Camillo Boito and where, years later, he taught geometry, kinematics and drawing. cars.
Built on a land sold by the Corti family, the villa was built for the Candiani who were the only owners until 1934, when it was sold to the Municipality of Erba. For the same family, the architect designed the Candiani House in Milan, in via Matteo Bandello, another interesting example of eclectic architecture with a very rich terracotta decoration.
The villa in Erba housed the municipal seat until 1971. Subsequently it remained in the possession of the Municipality, which placed some offices there, including one dedicated to urban planning and private construction.
In 2015, on the occasion of Expo, an exhibition dedicated to the restoration of the nearby monument to the fallen of Incino Erba built to a design by Giuseppe Terragni was set up in the rooms of the villa.