CASTLE OF CASIGLIO


 

Castle with regular cut stone block walls.

The structure has a courtyard open to the east and is equipped with a square-based tower in the north-west corner. The castle, founded on a previous building, was the birthplace of Bishop Beltramino Parravicini (Bishop of Como in 1339), an important exponent of the family who, like the subsequent heirs (for example Giovanni Parravicini at the beginning of the fifteenth century), was involved in maintain and restore the architectural complex.

The castle was dated to the fourteenth century on the basis of the observations made on the occasion of the Census of the Castles of Lombardy, published in 1991 by the Lombardy Region of the Italian Institute of Castles.

During the fifteenth century the castle passed into ownership to the Dal Verme family, and then returned to the Parravicini family in 1656. In the nineteenth century the complex became the property of the Cavalleri and Longoni families who made changes to the whole: during the century the castle was flanked by a rustic with an open structure.

In the two-year period 1985-1987 the whole complex underwent restoration in view of the opening inside of a hotel and a restaurant.

These interventions led on the one hand to the discovery of wall paintings inside some rooms of the castle, and on the other to the enhancement of the architectural elements of the structure.

During the same works, three ceramic fragments, dated between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, were found in the courtyard of honor of the castle: the finds are visible at the Civic Archaeological Museum of Erba.